Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Max Force: A new contender?

Over the last few weeks, quite a number of blogs and other news sources have been lighting up about a new line of "spitball" launchers. This is the Max Force line by Jakks Pacific. While normally, many die-hard Nerf fans seemingly won't give anything other than dart shooters a chance, one thing I've noticed is that a decent portion of these fans are actually quite impressed with these new blasters. One only needs to look at what Max Force claim to be able to do, to be figure out why this is the case.

The Shadow Hawk 100
Take this as an example. The Max Force Shadow Hawk 100. On the box, there are similar claims to what it can do as the rest of the line. It can apparently reach ranges of 100 feet (over 30 metres), and accurately, with a kind of biodegradable ammo that resembles a spitball, sticks to it's targets, and wipes of easily for cleaning up. That's 3 times further than a stock Nerf Longshot, and as far as a heavily modded one, and Nerf darts are not accurate at that sort of range. For outdoor wars, you wouldn't have to worry about cleaning up, because the ammo will decompose. Now, if you ask me, that is seriously impressive if it lives up to that. The best part is, IT DOES, according to Jerm from Nerf Mods and Reviews, who wrote this Review. I have not personally been able to get my hands on one in my area of south-east Queensland yet, but i after seeing the following video, you can be sure I'm trying my best to acquire one.


And then there is Max Force's answer to Nerf's slamfire, The Terrornator 85 (pic below). It works similar to slamfire, except it fires both when you push the handle forward, AND when you pull the handle back. It also comes with an extendable ammo belt that according to Jakks Pacific also works in their other clip fed guns. 85 foot ranges, fast firing, and an extendable ammo belt probably makes this one of the most desirable taggers out there right now.

Terrornator 85
So, does this mean that finally, Nerf has some formidable competition? I think so. After all, if you go to the Max Force site, there is a banner at the top that clearly states "Graduate from foam". With accurate ranges way over what Nerf can achieve, This might be a fair statement. So far, the only downside I've heard of is the lack of a trigger on these blasters. This doesn't bother me too much, but I would prefer to see a trigger mechanism incorporated anyway. Again, I still Don't have one of these to review, I can't find them anywhere yet but I'm so eager to get my hands on this line to try it out it's not funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment